The Defence Capability Assurance and Oversight Bill 2023 will establish an independent statutory body and related oversight bodies to conduct risk assessment in support of Defence Capability acquisition.
The Bill will:
- Expedite the procurement of defence capability by providing Defence and Government decision makers with greater confidence in the veracity and completeness of the information they use to make timely, risk-informed decisions.
- Provide assurance to military commanders, the Government and the Parliament that the systems procured will be available for use when they are required and that they will be effective against the threats faced by Australia.
The Bill will be introduced to the Senate on 10th May and will likely be referred to a Committee—opening it up for public comment.
Feedback on the initial exposure draft is welcome.
- You can read the Second Reading Speech explaining the Bill here.
- Defence Capability Assurance and Oversight Bill 2023 on the Parliamentary website.
- You can read the Bill’s Explanatory Memorandum here.
- Find the exposure draft of the Bill here.
- View the Senate Inquiry on the Bill here.
- Read an op-ed published on the subject in APSI’s The Strategist.
- Listen to an interview with ADM Podcast on the topic.